Drive a Car

Take command of 5000 pounds of metal
Have you done this dangerous thing? Share your story and everyone will see it on this page. Click "I Did It!"
I Did It

Progress Reports

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): No such file or directory in /home/tkuadmin/fiftydangerousthings.com/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7-to-database-extension/ExportBase.php on line 452

Warning: mysql_real_escape_string(): A link to the server could not be established in /home/tkuadmin/fiftydangerousthings.com/wp-content/plugins/contact-form-7-to-database-extension/ExportBase.php on line 452

Warning: mysqli_set_charset() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli, resource given in /home/tkuadmin/fiftydangerousthings.com/wp-includes/wp-db.php on line 823

4 Responses to Drive a Car

1. Hank says:

Yeah I was able to drive my Dad’s van. It was hardly dangerous though as we were in an empty car park and I was on his lap

2. Jeremy Sale says:

I hate to be a downer, because my kids and I love this book, but… if the airbag went off while your kid was on your lap, would that not ruin your day in a very big way?

• julie says:

While we completely agree that an airbag going off with a kid in the front seat (much less your lap) would be bad – very bad – life is full of risks and we all do our best to minimize them. The chances of an airbag deployment when driving at slow speed with adult supervision in a controlled environment is pretty small, and the joy and empowerment for a kid driving a car is huge. We think the trade-off is worth it.

3. Jennifer says:

I did this with my father in the far northern reaches of Northern Wisconsin in the early 90s at about 10 with both a mid 80s van and an early 70s truck with a plow attached. My dad worked the pedals and we never went particularly fast, but I was allowed to steer the parking lot and some of the rough dirt roads in the woods.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *